Saturday, February 17, 2007

You take the good, you take the bad...

Well, we learned a little bit about the facts of life today.
It's amazing how even the most beautiful and fun day manages to have a little bad push its way in. The Splendid Charlie had his first soccer practice today. He was so excited! I was too- I'm so happy he is on this team. His soccer coach is the most patient understanding man- and so good with the kids. We've been blessed to become friends with his family. His kids are the same age as Emma and Charlie and they get along so well! It's almost unbelievable. And his wife is this amazing woman. Great people. They do exist!!
So, back to our day... after soccer practice we went to lunch at this great little lunch spot, Chef Voila, with coach, his wife, and their kids.
After lunch, we rushed off to meet some friends at The Rep to see "Go, Dog! Go!" It was a colorful and lively little show. After the show, the kids were able to meet the "dogs" (that would be actors dressed up as dogs...) and I asked Kevin to run out and get the camera from the van. After all, our day would not be complete without pictures of the kids with actor dogs, right? Well, he was taking forever. I was watching out the window and I saw him coming in without the camera. Without the camera! He couldn't find the camera. HE COULDN'T FIND THE CAMERA?? So, of course, I ran out there to find the camera! I COULDN'T FIND THE CAMERA. Our wonderful Nikon D70s, also known as my third child, was gone. Gone. As in stolen. We had it at the practice. We left it in the locked car at lunch. While walking in to the Rep, Kevin asked if he locked the door. He started to make his way back to the car, but for some reason didn't. (I mean, I guess it could be the way I said, "We're LATE." Or something. ) And now it's gone. Gone. Someone violated our space. Felt the need to enter our car. To take our belongings.
Gone.

All the way home we were blaming ourselves.
Kevin: I should have trusted my instincts.
Me: I should have hidden the camera.
Kevin: I should have locked the doors.
Me: I should have let you trust your instincts.

Once home, Emma and Kevin got all fancied up and made their way to a Father/Daughter Valentine's Dance. They looked so wonderful. I wish I could show you pictures. Nice Nikon D70s worthy pictures. Yeah... that won't be happening. I will, however, be able to show you pictures from our old half broken antiquated camera which Emma has inherited. Once we remember how to use it.

So there you have it. A wonderful day with a little bit of yucky in the middle. I'm trying to keep my head straight about it. We can't keep blaming ourselves. We can't change what happened. It's already done. I think we have to pray for this person that felt there was no other way. This person that felt it was okay to invade someone else's space and take something that still has small bits of memories embedded. Images of our life. Daddy just coming home and embracing his little loves. Charlie running after the soccer ball with all the speed he can muster. Our life. It wasn't just a camera. But at the same time, it was only a camera.

So tonight, I will light a candle and say a prayer.
I will pray that this person finds goodness in their life.
I will pray that goodness will one day be enough.
I know there is goodness out there.

It should be enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow- I wish I had 1 teeny, tiny ounce of your patience and understanding. I never feel like praying for some jerk... I more or less take comfort from the fact that they might get hit by a car while walking across the street to the pawn shop with your beloved camera!! (are you sure we're from the same family?) Betty

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the camera. I know it's part of your life when you have kids involved in sports, dancing, etc. and part of our lives when we get the pictures. I will never understand why people do the things they do. I guess we just pick ourselves up and learn from the experience and go out and buy another camera.....:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh Jeannie I am so sorry this happened to you! Hope you all have a much better day today. Luv ya! Dee