Sunday, April 1, 2012

Victory Garden

Thirty days of Thanksgiving... well, at least I accomplished one day.
Let's see if my next endeavor works.
I've always wanted to keep a journal but honestly, I'm not organized enough to make that work.  My plan is to live up to my blog's name of "Picture This" by taking a snapshot of each day.  It will hopefully be my "photo journal".
So I will begin with a picture of the babes- even though it isn't from today.  Because, I mean really.  Look at them!  They're just too cute.

On to the picture of the day.  I was trying to find a good title for this blog post and stumbled upon the term "Victory Garden."  A Victory Garden was typically a home garden grown to increase food production during times of war.  Today, I felt a bit victorious when walking out to our little garden and picking our first delicious sweet peas.  We planted a garden a few months ago consisting of tomatoes, peppers, basil, parsley, romaine lettuce, sweet peas, and green beans.  All are growing well, we've been using the lettuce almost every day on sandwiches, in tacos, in salads...  But for some reason, I am most excited about these sweet peas.  It might have something to do with my own nostalgia.  I have such fond memories of picking and eating sweet peas right out of my Papa's garden.  Sitting right down in the dirt of the garden, plucking the plump pods from the plant, putting my thumbs in the seam and slowly opening the outer shell revealing the round, light green, delectable spheres.  And then, popping them one by one right into my mouth.  It was like my childhood came flooding back.  But it was even better, because now, now I get to witness my children enjoying and savoring the sweet taste of spring.  Right from their own backyard.  They had the best flavor.  Wholesome.  Grown and tended by hands.  Warmed and sweetened by the spring sun and rain showers.  It was pretty exciting.  Needless to say, today Victory Garden has a bit of a different meaning to me.


I can't wait to pick and taste the green beans!

No comments: