Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Ugh.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Why is it that having sick kids always sends me into a tizzy?
Not just a "oh my poor kids are sick, I feel so bad for them" type of tizzy, but a full blown "holy crap they're sick!! what do I do? Oh no! Oh no!" running in circles type of tizzy.

My poor boy has had some weird illness going on for one and a half weeks. He was ill last weekend (so much for Father's Day), seemed to be better by Wednesday, then the fever started back up again last night!

I seriously think children should come with a user manual at the hospital. You know, to tell you exactly how to take care of your child when a strange illness takes hold of them. You look up the symptom: fever, and it tells you exactly how long it will last, what to expect during the illness and how to MAKE IT GO AWAY!

I think it's the unknown that bothers me the most. Not knowing exactly what is or how to fix it. So instead, I become overzealous in my attempts at "making the child more comfortable." That would mean visiting his room 50+ times a day, "How are you doing? Do you need anything? Can I get you anything? Make sure you drink your water. Drink your water. While I'm standing here, drink your water. A few more sips. Drink your water. DRINK your WATER!"

So, here's my question to anyone who might be reading this...
How do you calm yourself and remain "zen" when your children are sick?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few "oohhmmmsss" always help me relax. Please just try taking some deep breaths and know that ALL will be OK soon. Worrying more only weakens your defense system. I Love you, sweetie! Try and relax!

Anonymous said...

Will you come over the next time I'm sick and bring me some water and check up on me 50 times... that sounds nice- I miss being a kid!! (Well in age at least) Love you, Betty

Unknown said...

What do I do when the kids are sick? The same thing you do. lol Hang in there girlie you are doing a great job!
Luv always,
Dee