Saturday, June 30, 2007

Connection

I've had a bit of an awakening this evening.
Connection.
The connections we make in life need to be nurtured, not put on hold and thought of later when we have more time. Because really? When do we have more time? What if there isn't more time?
My aunt, my only aunt, is dying. I was called tonight told that it would most likely be a matter of days. She is only in her 50s.

I was never good at keeping in touch with my Aunt. When we did talk, I loved it. When we were able to visit- it was wonderful. But for some reason, I always put writing or calling her on hold. I had more time, right? I would do it later. But later has arrived, and I have run out of time. I wrote a letter to her tonight. I asked my father to read it to her tomorrow, if it isn't too late.

My Aunt Patti,

I'm sitting here trying to come up with the words to write to tell you how much you mean to me. I am having trouble because I know I have not been the best at corresponding through the years. A few emails here, a note there, always a Christmas greeting- but I feel it was not enough. I am wracked with remorse and shame over my failure to let you know, the many times I should have, just how magnificent a person and how brilliant an Aunt I feel you are.

Now you are entering a new stage of life, and I am sad. I am so sad that I am not there to hold your hand one more time, to talk to you one more time, to listen to your great travel stories one more time. I know that you are embarking on life's greatest journey, but I am just wishing for a little more time. I am wishing for a little more time so you can at least hear my words read to you and know I love you. I truly do love you Aunt Patti. You are always in my heart.

Always,
Jeannie


Connection.

It's important to make those connections a priority. Nurture them. Don't wait until you have more time. That time may not come.

Update:
Aunt Patti passed this morning, 7/1/07, at 8:10 am. She didn't get my letter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeannie- she may not have gotten your letter... but she knows now (if not before) just how much she meant to you. See now that's the tricky thing with death- everyone that's left behind is wracked with the remorse of wishing they could have done more, said more, showed more, etc. When the only thing we really should feel is relief... Relief that all things are now clear to those we've lost and they truely understand what is in our hearts. Never the less- I am so very sad for you. Love, Bet

Unknown said...

Jeannie,
I am so sorry for your loss.
You and your family are in my thoughts.
Micki

Unknown said...

Jeannie,
I am sorry for the loss of your Aunt Patti. Please do not beat yourself up over what you feel you should have said. Over the last 5 years since Dad has passed I have done the same thing. They know we love them. They know we grow and have our own families and not as much time for them as before. And as far as my beliefs go, I would bet she got your letter.
Your loving friend always,
Dee

Me said...

I am very sorry for your loss and I will take this as a reminder to not put staying connected off until "I have more time" .....because you are right, when are we going to have more time???????? Never. Right.
PS: Found your blog through the 25 days to christmas blog